Pincha aquí para aprender más sobre LA EDAD MEDIA.
Ahora pincha en la imagen para jugar a CABALLEROS Y CASTILLOS.
1. The Middle Ages refers to a time in European history from 400-1500 AD. It occurred between the fall of the Roman Empire and the discovery of America (beginning of the Renaissance).
2. Historians usually divide the Middle Ages into three smaller periods called the Early Middle Ages, the High Middle Ages, and the Late Middle Ages.
3. During much of the Middle Ages, people in Europe were fighting against the Islamic Empire to take back the Eastern Mediterranean, especially Jerusalem, for the Christian religion. These wars were called the Crusades.
4. The Middle Ages was defined by a Feudal system in much of Europe. This system consisted of kings, lords, knights, vassals and peasants. The people who were part of the church played an important part also. When a person was born into a certain group, they rarely moved to another level.
5. The Feudal system was the law of the land, and the way that the upper class maintained control over the lower class. The upper class provided protection to the lower class and in exchange, the lower class worked for the upper class. The kings and lords lived in castles and were attended to by their personal servants, called vassals. The soldiers that fought for the king and lords were called knights. When conflict arose, the peasants would leave their fields and villages and come into the safety of the castle walls.
6. Kings ruled by what they believed was their "Divine Right". This meant they believed God made them the King, and their kingdom was passed down through generations.
7. Many fairy tales have their roots in the Middle Ages. When you read about castles and the characters that lived and around them, these stories are being told about this time in history.
8. Castles were built for the lords and kings who lived in them. The bigger and stronger the castle was, the wealthier the person who had it built was. The poor lived in huts made from sticks, straw and mud.
9. The church had a great influence over the people. The peasants believed that the harder they worked, the more of their money they gave to the church, and the more they served the church, the better the after-life would be for them.
10. By the early 1300s, however, Europe suffered from both war and disease. The wars were made much worse by the Black Death, or bubonic plague, which spread along the Silk Road from China to Europe starting in 1328, killing millions of people and causing the collapse of the Mongol Empire. By the 1400s, after the plague, Europe looked very different, and the wars were over, and Middle Ages were coming to an end.
- THE END OF ANCIENT HISTORY
Roman empire became too large and it was divided into 2 parts:
- WESTERN ROMAN EMPIRE (ROME)
EASTERN ROMAN EMPIRE (CONSTANTINOPLE)
Barbarians tribes moved into Roman territory, Rome was invaded in 476 C.E which was the end of the Ancient Period.
- GERMANIC PEOPLES
Many barbarians were Germanic tribes from Central Europe.
Most were farmers, so they lived in the countryside.
They had their culture but learned to speak LATIN, adopted ROMAN LAWS and they converted to CHRISTIANITY.
Society was divided into 3 main groups: KNIGHTS, CLERGY and PEASANTS.
A new social and economic system was developed: FEUDALISM.
- THE VISIGOTHIC KINGDOM OF TOLEDO
- The Visigoths were an important Germanic tribe. They arrived in Roman Hispania in 507 C.E.
- Visigoths established a new kingdom in the Western Roman Empire, with its capital city in Toledo.
- That was the beginning of the Middle Ages in Spain.
Pincha en el link para aprender más sobre LA CULTURA CELTA.
Pincha en el link para aprender más sobre LA CIVILIZACIÓN ROMANA.
Pincha en el link para ver aprender más sobre la LA ANTIGUA GRECÍA.
Be a Roman sleuth - use your detective skills to unravel the events behind a mysterious death. You have until dawn to investigate the crime scene, and crack the case.
Piece together the puzzle using their evidence, eye-witness testimonies, and perhaps a little detective’s intuition.